Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Ehh Chikne!!

It was quite a weird experience yesterday for me when I was traveling by Metro. A eunuch came menacingly towards me and almost yelled: Eh, chikne, is there a urinal on this train? Such encounters, though, keep happening in Delhi as in any other city, this was the first time I came up and close with such a situation! Folks tell me the central park in Connaught Place was one hot and happening place where dostana friendships blossomed until a few years back. Maybe, Palika Bazaar and the mushrooming of vendors all over the central park has left little place for anything else.  Hey, hold your guns! This is only a statement of facts as I have observed or heard. As for my position where I stand when it comes to human orientation in such matters, I would say it is a matter of personal choice. Like I always say I am an agnostic when I am asked if I believe in the existence of God! Believe you me, I am certainly not trying to be politically correct. Nope, not in the least. 
        Like Karan Johar said the other day on ‘India’s Most Desirable’ on Star World  when Simi Garewal cajoled him to come out fair and square about his own sexual orientation: Whatever my orientation, why should I say I am straight, or gay, or bi-sexual, or tri-sexual or anything like that? Being a public persona that he is, he may not have been politically correct when he protested vehemently on the show and almost took offense to being prodded by people repeatedly about his orientation, but it was a very strong defence of his right to privacy. Or was it his personal choice that he was defending? I still felt he could have put on a 1000 watt smile (I think he has a killer smile!) and ducked that question for a millionth time! 
        
Shahid Kapur was smarter when, the interviewer on a television show, taking a cue from the widely publicized reports about the on-screen chemistry between him and Sonam Kapoor in their forthcoming film Mausam, asked if there was a new girl in his life: I would certainly let all of you know when there is one. A master at wriggling out of any such tight situation (remember his ostensible link-up with Kareena?), he said this with a huge smile, looking straight into the camera. But then, was this not a straight (no pun intended) question unlike the one that made our friend Karan Johar twist and turn in his seat and see red quickly?
Coming back to my own predicament on the Metro yesterday. I rang up my dad while still travelling in the Metro and just said I had a weird experience but insisted I would tell him the details when I got back home. The poor soul was so worried and was making mental projections of what possibly could have happened with me, as he hurried back home from work! And once home, when I narrated my ‘encounter’ with all mirch & masala, it was quite a hilarious entertainment for him. Was he excited to hear the great story? He protested he was so worried with anxiety that I might have possibly triggered the onset of hyper tension that he has never had, in him. He in fact reminded me of how bravely I went around clicking pictures alongside him last year at the gay pride march at Jantar Mantar. Would you guys care to see some of those snaps? I leave you with a few images:

  

 

3 comments: